- 16oz Phyllo dough thawed (use package instructions)
- 1 ¼ cups (10oz or 2 ½ sticks) Butter, melted
- 1 lb (about 4 cups) Finely chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp Lemon juice (juice from ½ a lemon)
- ¾ cup Water
- ¾ cup Dark (grade D) Fullers Maple syrup
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 Tbsp Heavy cream (heated)
- 1 Tsp Butter
- Mix all garnish ingredients until smooth set aside for final garnish
- Thaw phyllo dough by package instructions (best done overnight in fridge, then place on counter for 1 hr. before starting to bring to room temp.
- Trim phyllo dough to fit your baking dish. Trim one stack at a time (2 rolls = 40 sheets) cover with a damp towel to keep sheets from drying out.
- Butter the bottom and sides of the 13x9 baking pan.
- In a medium sauce pan combine sugar ¾ cup Dark maple syrup, 2 Tbsp lemon juice. Bring to a boil over med/high heat stirring until sugar is dissolved, then reduce heat to med/low boil an additional 4 minutes without stirring, remove from heat to cool while preparing Baklava
- Pre-heat oven to 325* F.
- Pulse walnuts in food processor until coarsely ground/finely chopped. In a medium bowl, stir together the 4 cup chopped walnuts and 1 Tsp cinnamon.
- Place 10 phyllo sheets into baking dish one at a time brushing each sheet with melted butter before placing the next sheet on top, etc. etc.). keep remaining phyllo sheets covered with damp towel at all times. Spread about 1/5th of the nut mixture (about ¾ cup) over phyllo dough.
- Add 5 more individually buttered sheets on top then another layer of nuts. Repeat x4. Finish of with 10 layers of buttered phyllo sheets. Brush the tops with butter.
- Cut pastry into 1 1/2” wide strips, then cut diagonally to form a diamond shapes. Bake at 325*F for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediate pour or spoon cool syrup evenly over top of Baklava, you will hear it sizzle this ensures it stays crisp. Let Baklava cool completely uncovered at room temp. for best results let Baklava sit 4-6 hours or overnight at room temp. allowing the syrup to penetrate and soften the layers. Garnish the Baklava by drizzling or piping the melted chocolate followed immediately by topping each with a bit of “Fullers Maple Crunchies". Store at room temp, covered with a tea towel for 1 -2 weeks.