A Healthy Substitute for Sugar
We all crave something sweet from time to time. Those of us who coin ourselves as having a “sweet tooth” especially know this to be true! If you haven’t already started using Fuller’s pure maple syrup as a sugar alternative when cooking and baking, you are missing out on a rich, natural, and healthier option!
Pure maple syrup is less processed than other added sugars such as white sugar and brown sugar. It is a natural ingredient made from the maple tree’s energy source – sap – and contains significant levels of essential vitamins and minerals, including:
- Manganese, which plays an important role in energy production and antioxidant defenses, and is necessary for normal brain and nerve function.
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), which aids in the metabolic process.
- Zinc, which is essential for a healthy immune system.
- Magnesium, which lowers the risk of hypertension or stroke.
- Calcium, which strengthens bones and teeth.
- Potassium, which helps maintain normal blood pressure.
- More than 65 antioxidants, which can help delay or prevent diseases caused by free radicals, such as cancer or diabetes.
When substituting pure maple syrup for granulated sugars, use 3/4 cup of maple syrup for each cup of granulated sugar you are replacing. Compensate for the added liquid by reducing other liquid ingredients by about 1/4 cup. In salad dressings and other liquids, simply replace sugar with maple syrup instead. Whether you’re looking to make healthy lifestyle changes or want to switch things up and try something new, maple syrup is a great place to start! Find inspiration for your next maple-inspired breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert by visiting our Recipes page.