Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Soup
3 strips bacon
2 tbsp Fuller's Sugarhouse pure maple syrup
1 tbsp butter
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 lbs sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2-3 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
- Lay 3 slices of bacon on a pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 400°F, flip once halfway through.
- Dab off any extra oil and brush maple syrup on both sides of the bacon.
- Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes (until the bacon is crispy).
- Cut up the bacon into small pieces and set aside for garnishing the soup later.
- Melt butter, then add in the onion. Stir and cook on medium heat until fragrant.
- Add in the sweet potatoes, chicken broth, and spices. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes have softened. Add 2 tbsp of maple syrup and stir.
- Then blend with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend in batches until smooth and well-combined.
- Serve in a bowl and top with the bacon bits. Add additional garnish, such as heavy cream, croutons, sunflower seeds or cinnamon, if desired.