Maple Marinara Sauce
- 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 C. finely diced yellow onion
- 5 average-sized cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 t. dried oregano
- 2 t. dried basil or 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 t. Fuller’s Sugarhouse pure maple syrup
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium heat for 6-7 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, rinsing the can with 1/2 cup of water and pouring that in as well.
- Add the oregano, basil (if fresh, add after simmer), salt, pepper and if using, red pepper flakes.
- Reduce heat to low and lightly simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. For thicker sauce, simmer up to 40 minutes or until it reaches your desired consistency. You can also thin with a little water if it’s too thick.
- Serve right away or store in a sealed container for up to 5 days in the fridge or freezer for up to 2 months.